Sunday 1 November 2009

'On My 75th Spiritual Birthday ...' - A letter from Billy Graham

With a grateful heart, Billy Graham recalls the day he met the Lord 75 years ago.


Dear Friend,

The first of November this year marks my 75th spiritual birthday. I was not quite 16 when a visiting evangelist named Mordecai Ham began daily revival meetings across town from my parents’ dairy farm in Charlotte, N.C. For awhile I wasn’t interested, but my mother was praying for me as she had been for years.

One day an older friend, who also had been praying for me, offered to let me drive his truck if I’d go to the meetings with him. It was an enticement that an almost-16-year-old boy could not resist.

Once I heard Dr. Ham preach, I became intrigued and attended again and again. I felt a longing to experience God’s love in a more personal way. When the Holy Spirit brought me under conviction of sin, I felt the preacher was speaking only to me. A buddy and I even joined the choir so we could sit behind the preacher instead of directly under his gaze.

Finally on the first day of November, a Thursday, during the last verse of the last song of the evening, I simply got up and walked to the front. Once there, I wasn’t sure what to say or do, but a tailor who knew my family approached me, explained the Gospel in a very simple way, then guided me in a prayer. I acknowledged my sinfulness to God, asked for forgiveness because of what Jesus Christ did on the cross, and by faith invited Him to become Lord of my life.

My father came down the aisle and put his arm around me. When I got home, my mother rejoiced that I had finally surrendered my life to the Lord Jesus.

My Heart is Filled

I’ll be 91 years old in a few weeks, but those memories are as vivid to me as ever. I’ve experienced God’s gracious love in a personal way all these years, and today my heart is filled with gratitude for all He has done for me.

I hope you are praying for lost loved ones and friends, just as my mother and my older friend did. It is so important to pray for people you know who need Jesus, and to keep praying. Don’t give up. The Bible says that the intense prayer of a righteous person has great power (see James 5:16).

My heart is also filled with love and gratitude for friends like you who continue to support the urgent work of BGEA. Although my health now keeps me mostly at home, Franklin and our BGEA team continue proclaiming God’s love and the Gospel of Jesus Christ to lost people in many places around the world. God is drawing people to Himself through Crusades, the My Hope project, the Rapid Response Team chaplains who share the love of Christ at disasters, through TV specials, and in many other ways.

As I write, Franklin is in North Korea and then China, where he will preach several times. His mother, Ruth, the daughter of a missionary doctor, grew up in China and went to school for several years in what is today the capital of North Korea. She prayed most of her life for the people of those nations.

Prayer has always been the foundation of everything we do at BGEA, and I am asking you to partner with us this month in prayer. If you can send a gift to help our work, we will invest it in proclaiming the Good News.

With the Thanksgiving season approaching, I cannot find adequate words to thank our Lord Jesus Christ for coming to “seek and save those who are lost” (Luke 19:10, NLT), including me. The Bible tells us to “be thankful in all circumstances” (1 Thessalonians 5:18), and I hope you will do that today, no matter what your circumstances may be.

May God bless you,
Billy Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment